Buddha vs. Ammon
I've been doing my personal scripture study of the Old Testament this year. It's not my favorite book of scripture by far, but I do love getting reacquainted with all of my childhood scripture stories like Daniel in the lion's den and Esther and Ruth.
Lately I've been studying the Israelites and how they often they turned to idol worship. As I looked at these two little figurines on my windowsill every morning it led me to question,
What are my idols and how can I slay them?
I know for me, idols are synonymous with the things I spend my time on that have no real value or worth. Mindlessly surfing the internet, watching movies instead of being more productive, napping. Of course none of these things are bad in and of themselves it's when they take over that they become so. So there's your deep thought for the day.
What are your idols?
Sumi gave us some pears a few weeks ago. Probably about 3 bushels. I canned them and got 25 quarts out of the batch. It was pretty easy and we've been enjoying them immensely.
Other than that I've just been busy with life.
Kirstin's had her soccer games on Saturdays. Usually in Virginia Beach so that's a big chunk of the day.
Emil Michael and Emil worked on the Eagle Scout project this past Saturday and have it 98% done. (Heavy sigh of relief!!!) Emil M. also had his Senior Portraits done last week. I had my friend Jana do them. As soon as she email's me the proofs I'll send out a link for that. He did good with them and I think we got some good shots.
Noah is doing better in school. The year started out a little rough but hopefully he's turned a corner.
Emil is busy with fixing his truck, doing maintenance on our cars, working, schooling and church. Hopefully the cars are taken care of now and he can find some time for the motorcycle. We'll see.
I've been sewing some quilts for the humanitarian project and a personal one as well as trying to be more diligent with family meals (which is quite a lot of planning!). Next month I'm hostessing my cooking club and the theme is Fondue so for Family Night dessert this week we did a chocolate fondue. I think this week for Conference I'll try a cheese one.
Next month our Young women are going to be having a modest fashion show and I'm planning that as part of a personal goal.
There are so many good things to choose from in life I have a hard time limiting myself. How could anyone be bored with life? I just feel that there is so much to learn that I don't know. I want to do it all- well maybe not all- I could do without math...
1 comment:
Geez--I thought I was busy! I've never canned before, but I just came across a recipe to make jam so that might just be the first thing I attempt.
If mindlessly surfing the internet qualifies as an idol, then I am in trouble!
Post a Comment