Saturday, May 25, 2013

Floored!

The flooring we chose was Hand scraped Burnished Acacia. It's dark and yes, it does show every single dog and cat hair but I love it even so...
Even before Kirstin's Prom we had started working on the downstairs flooring. It was a long process. Our house is built on a concrete slab so nailing in the new hardwood floor like we did for the upstairs rooms wasn't an option. 
We chose to put it down in a floating like method. Basically it's like adhering the planks to fly paper. It was a lot harder than what we've done before and not nearly satisfying in some ways. In the end we just went with the mindset that the look we were going for was "classically rustic."
We started with the study so everything had to come out of there. And this is what the entryway looked like for a few days. I was in agony!
So this is what it looked like before...
 and at the start of laying down the wood 
and the finish!
It feels larger to me. We still have to finish off the bookcase. We are going to trim out the base and top so it looks like a built in unit. Maybe add some library lights on the top as well.
Next we moved to the entryway.
This was not Emil's most favorite project. I pretty much worked him like a slave. But it had to be done because I couldn't stand looking at the pile of wood in the dining room for very long. I  may have been known to be impatient for projects to be done- which I think would make me a fine foreman if I ever decided to go into construction- which I wouldn't because the projects take too long. Now! Isn't that much better?
Then the hall way before 
 and after!

Lastly the dining room. Which was our staging area for most of the project.
 
 Ahhhh! look at those clean lines. Love, Love, Love it!
We're still not done. We have to finish a small portion along the right side of the dining room where there is a leak that has to be resolved before we put the last section in. We also have the stairs and thresholds to put in. I worked on staining them this past week along with the thresholds. Most of the floor took about 3 weeks to do. I do love it but you do see everything on the floor but as my kids are older it's not so bad. Mostly it's cat and dog hair but I love knowing I can just run a dust mop over it and it's clean, not hiding in the padding like when we had carpet. I'm hoping it will help with the allergies both Noah and I have.
What do you think?





1 comment:

The Yoder's Five said...

It looks beautiful!! Putting in new flooring is such a PAIN!!!! We know! My brother had dark floors like that and had so much sweeping and mopping to do they eventually bought a Roomba (or whatever) little automatic vacuum and it helped a lot.

I just read your comment about starting to watch Doctor Who. Mwahahahahaha. I am sorry about all my obnoxious pinterest pins, you can unfollow whichever boards you want. But seriously, while the first season is pretty good--season 2 is EPIC. I'm excited for you. :)