Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Yoga


So with all the time we have on our hands now I decided to pick up Yoga. Actually a friend was going to check out a class at the extension center and asked me to join her. I figured I might enjoy it more than the chiropractor I was going to and it might help my achy hip. I'm a relatively active person. I stay in shape. How hard could it be?
As the first class began they talked to us about the 5 Hamsata (beliefs). The first is to commit yourself to non-violence.
Sure, I thought, I'm a peaceful person. Then she went on to say we should practice non-violence on ourselves first. Well, I thought, that's strange, why would I be violent towards myself? How do you act violently towards yourself? I had been trying to kick the chocolate habit. Could this be my possible loophole for giving up chocolate? I do love chocolate. I guess I could term it violent to totally deprive myself from something I love so much....
I had to pull myself back to the class. Then she explained whenever we try to force our bodies into poses that are painful and totally impossible for someone with bones we could consider that violence. Ahhh, the lightbulb turned on. Later when I got home I received a catalogue from some company in CA that sells yoga clothing and I understood better. This was my favorite pose in the catalogue.

It's called the Scorpion. Isn't it the coolest? I don't expect to get there in this life time. At least not since I still have bones. So far the best part of yoga has been teasing my workout partner Shelly, about being non-violent each and every day. Well that's not totally true. It did feel stinking good after I finished my workout. Tomorrow I go to the second class. Here's a stance I actually did do on day 1.

This is tree stance. I did it and was only a little bit wobbly. Plus I didn't have blond hair but otherwise we could have been twins. For real!
Have a great day and remember to practice Non-violence!

2 comments:

Anna & Justin said...

Hi ! Just thought I would drop by and say hello :) I do Yoga here at home and I took a class at TCC as an elective....lol...i know what your thinking :) It was the easiest class I ever took there :) I enjoy yoga, it helps me relieve a lot of unwanted stress. Anyways, I hope your Christmas and New year's were great !

Cori White said...

too funny..when i first glanced at the scorpion pose i thought it was you.. it looks painful.
i love the yoga pants the blondie has on.. those look comfy.
:)