Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Wanderings: Part 1

At the end of August the kids started school. I didn't get a picture of Kirstin before she left for the day since seminary started the very first day of school and I wasn't up that early but I got Noah before we left. He got glasses this summer. He's following in his big brother's footsteps of always having his jacket with him. I think they do that for the pockets to store things in. 

The kids were only in school 2 days before Emil M. and I left for our drive across the US!
We decided to send him back to school with the car this year. He's a junior at BYU and we thought it would be good for him to have it to get around. 

Since I haven't seen my family in a while I was going to visit my siblings. I wanted to make something for the kids I'd see so I decided to do sock monkeys. Here's one I made for the girls. They were so cute but lots of hand sewing. Not my forte.
I made these little stuffed Dino Taggies for the babies and for some of the older girls I did dolls.


Off we started on a Wednesday making pretty good time. The mountains of West VA were rainy but so beautiful and green.

We pulled into Jasper, IN at about 7pm. totally exhausted but safe. It was a quiet little town with lots of German influence. This was a beautiful church we saw while passing through town to dinner.
We tried to get up and on the road every day by 7am and then drive just stopping for gas. Each time we filled the tank we'd switch seats. Taking turns driving. It worked pretty well. It seemed the mornings would go fast but the afternoons seemed to drag. 






I love the wildflowers.
We passed through Kansas and Missouri on Thursday. They were flat. We did catch a glimpse of the Gateway Arch!
The next night we stayed in Kearney, NE and I definitely felt like we were in the west. Our last day of driving was Friday and it was through, WY, NE and a little bit of CO
The vegetation was sparse but we did see tons of these flowers. I'd call them black eyed susans because they were small but Sheila said they called them sunflowers out there. 
And cattle, there were LOTS of cattle!
I understand why they call it big sky country!
We finally got to Sheila's on Friday night at about 6:30. It was good to know the worst part was over and actually the driving wasn't as bad as I remembered it from when Emil and I drove my car back home from college in Ut. after we were first married. 
On saturday I was able to attend the sealing of my niece, Sheila & Scott to their newly adopted son, Max. In the Draper Temple in Ut. It was such a sweet and tender event. He is a great little guy and I know Sheila and Scott will make wonderful parents.
Sheila, Max & Scott
Mike & Sheila
That afternoon they had over friends and family and I was able to catch up with Mike and Sheila's kids and their families. 
Clancy & Heather
Brier
They're adults now and have babies of their own. All so cute I could eat them up!
Grandmom Sheila & Star

Star Anderson
Sara with Brier sneaking up on her
It was so good to hang out with these guys they are all such great parents and it's been nice to get to know them as adults. Part 2 to follow soon!

1 comment:

The Yoder's Five said...

You are such a good auntie to have hand made all those adorable toys for the kids! My kids love theirs!

I'm glad you got to be at Sheila, Scott and Max's sealing. Wish we could have been there. Those Brown grandkids are all so cute.

I don't know if I'll ever attempt a cross country road trip like that. Wow.