Friday, January 2, 2009

New Years in D.C.

We went to Washington for New Years Eve. Our temple visitors center has programs every night in December in conjunction with the Christmas Lights and Live Nativity so we have made it a family tradition to try to get up there sometime during the season. This year it just happened to be after Christmas. 
So we left early Wednesday morning and Emil had picked out a place that had some rock climbing that he wanted to check out and do "just a couple of climbs".  It was cold. Very COLD!
When were about 45 minutes away it was snowing! It did stop but still....
I think this photo adequately expresses how I was feeling about being out in the cold. (The river  was right beside the rock they were climbing.)
We found the place and ate some very yummy rolls I had packed (more about the rolls in another post) and he went to check out the rock. 
I think we were at Carder Rock in MD at the Great Falls Park. We braved the cold and Emil climbed with Kirstin belaying him. (He just taught her last week and she was dying to try her new "mad skills".  I was a bit leery knowing how a 12 year-olds attention span can wander but I did keep an eye on her and she did do pretty well...) Here is the place they climbed. It does have a nice lip and I would like to try it when the rock is warmer.

Kirstin did a couple of climbs. I took pictures but my batteries died before they started climbing. 

There was a nice crack in the rock that I stood in to stay warm. (behind 
the boys) While the boys had a fun time rock sliding. They found a rock with a good decline and slowly slid down. Head first on their belly, head first on their back, you name it they tried it. I'd love a rock like that in our yard since it kept them busy for the better part of an hour. 
Then we left and retreated to the warmth of the car. I've decided that I really like feeling in my fingers and toes. I'm such a sissy when it comes to the cold. 

2 comments:

The Yoder's Five said...

Those guys are nuts! I don't like being outside for more than 30 seconds when it's cold, much less going rock climbing while it's snowing and freezing. Brrrrrr!

Donna said...

I know you are glad to be back. We were up in the Richmond and Williamsburg area and I know how cold it was, snow included! That is great that you had such quality family time!