When I asked him what he had planned he said that he was going to play Wii, watch movies and then, after I went to bed...... read in the dark!!!!! Shocking, it's true. ( I'm glad my kids love to read.) Actually he ended up staying up to about midnight watching a Discovery DVD we have. Colton, one of his friends that came is a real nature lover. They also looked at strands of their hair as well as rabbit and cat hair under a microscope that came with a kids CSI type kit that his Auntie Maria got him for his birthday. They loved that. (It was actually pretty interesting!)
At the beginning of the month Kirstin's Battle of the Books team had their competition with the other middle school in the county. They we ahead the entire competition until the last two rounds and then they lost by about 8 points. It was the same last year. However they were competing with only 4 students and the other team had 10 or something like that. Oh well, there's always next year.
She also made the middle school softball team. They have practice every day and she's been very excited to be on the team even if she's not playing much. After a rocky start they have had three consecutive wins and that has done a lot to boost team moral. I have to confess at this point that I am not a sports mom. I don't much care for sports but I try to be at most of the games and not get too impatient. The other day they had just started playing and I asked the simple question of how many innings there were in the middle school games. Emil gave me the dirtiest look, like he could actually read my mind and knew I was wondering exactly how long I would have to be there. In my own defense, it has been cold here. OK, maybe not as cold as Sheila at 30 degrees but I am as to cold as Sheila is to the heat. I do not do well when I am cold. So that's all I'm saying about sports.
Well maybe that's not all I am saying about sports because Noah's playing soccer again so now I have to say more. The thing I love about Noah's soccer games? They are timed games. 1 hour max. Love it! He's only had one game this far and the season is relatively short. Plus his coach is also a 3rd grade teacher at his school and I love her! She always cancels practice if it's raining or cold. That way none of the kids are out in the weather getting sick. So I guess there are things I like about sports.
I have been out in the yard a few days enjoying some gardening. My next door neighbor offered to let me have some of his plants and trees that he didn't want crowding his flower gardens around his house so I was able to get a Japanese Maple tree, a Camilla bush, some Azaleas and several other shrubs and bushes. I do love the return of spring and getting my hands in the soil. All the Cherry trees are in full bloom and the world is so beautiful. How can anyone look at all the daffodils blooming and not feel happy?
On another note, we bought a third car for the kids. It is a Ford Tempo, 1994 with 98,000 miles on it. It only cost us $1100 and works great. It was garage kept and Emil and I feel so blessed to have found it at this opportune time. Emil M. will get his permanent license this summer and it will be a big help.
That's about all the news from this part of the world. I hope spring is showing it's face in your part of the world. I remember Mom always had Johnny Jump ups in her flower bed so now I always have them in mine and I think of Mom. Happy Spring!
2 comments:
I always enjoy reading your blog....even though we are neighbors (the best ever!) our lives are so busy and it is hard to keep up, especially when it is cold and we don't see much of eachother. I am glad spring is here so we can see eachother more often!
a car for the kids?? seriously.. time is going by too fast.. that will be nice for him to run some of the kids around for you.. how exciting.. looks like the sports are fun.. cant wait to get there in 3 weeks and see you and your family.. take care
Post a Comment