Sunday, August 26, 2012

You'd better Belize it! Part 1: Hopkins Village

(That's just one of the slogans I saw at the airport. Kinda cheesy, kinda cute.)
So, so, so many pictures. I will only share the best with you though I promise!
We left Norfolk at 7am Saturday. We got to Belize at 5pm. This is where we caught our hopper flight to Dangriga. It's looking out on the airstrip which was basically a 2 lane strip with the water on one side and a trailer for the office on the other. This was the waiting room. 
This was our first realization that AC is not commonplace. We arrived at our Resort about 8pm.
We were so tired! We had a tasty late dinner and went to sleep pretty quickly.
This was our Villa. We were in 5A. 
We had the upstairs room.
I didn't take pictures of our room. Actually, I did but they were all dark so here are two from the site.
It was totally cute and just perfect for the two of us.
This was our view from our deck.
The entire resort only had 9 villas. I loved how cozy it was!
 Sunday we found out there was a Catholic Church in the village and were able to attend it.
It didn't look like much but the location was prime!
It was just across the street from the library. Here is Emil on our mode of transportation while visiting Hopkins Village. Bikes!
Thankfully it was only about 2.5 miles from the resort to the end of the village. :)
Hopkins was a very impoverished village. Here was a typical plot of land.
The people are very poor but are generally happy. It amazes me how happy when they have so little. It's a true testament to the fact that money can't buy you happiness.
There were all sorts of questionable establishments.




( Is it a description? A warning?)


This was the actual establishment.








Some made us laugh more than others.


This was the Police Station.
We never actually saw a police officer.
So that was good?




We had breakfast at a little cafe one morning. It was cute and run by a German couple.


We picked up some groceries at a Chinese market. It reminded me of the Shiloh Shopping Center. It had everything!








This is Liko. He is Mayan and we bought a "Happy blanket" from him. He was so funny and all the goods made in his shop were made by family members.
So that gives you a glimpse into the village and next post I'll share our excursions. We went to the Mayan ruins of Xunantunich and snorkeling off the reef with a visit to a island called Coco Plum!

2 comments:

Cori White said...

cant wait to see all your pics... i love the cheesy slogan...
and the doo doo hotel... glad you didnt stay there..
looks like a trip of a lifetime

Amy said...

Ooh! That looks like so much fun! I can't wait to see the rest