Monday, October 15, 2012

Running & Hot Cocoa

There's this new thing called a blog. I have one I just forgot that I have one. ;)

So you've been dying to know how the running is going but have been too afraid to ask. 
Here's the skinny.
I started to run. My stupid knee started to hurt.
I tried running barefoot style, but with shoes. (love my sweet shoes...)
Sweet Barefoot Running Shoes
My knee stopped hurting. (Yea!)
My calves killed me! (But that was to be expected.)
I kept running.
My calves stopped hurting but my feet started being sore instead.
I still ran.
 I increased my time.
I went to Belize and ran once while wild dogs followed me. 
It was scary. (Wild dogs=no rabies shots)
I got to 8 minutes of straight running and strained my soleus muscle.
I took a break while I went to Scotland. (Such a good decision, it was very hilly!)
I came back feeling recovered and took a kickboxing class and reinjured my soleus.
I've decided I'm old, 
I took this just today. It's true, running aged me!
yes, I know there are people older than me, 
this is just how running was making me feel. 
I am now coming off a 2 week recovery period where I have not exercised at all. 
I feel very much like a bean bag. Parts of me are starting to resemble a bean bag. 
I love fall weather and sweaters. 
Today I walked 3 miles. I will start exercising again gradually and see if I can do this running thing without needing my walker.
( I only wanted to do a 5 K for Pete's sake! It's only 3 stinking miles!!!!)
I'll keep you updated.

I have found when you cannot run it is always nice to be able to drink Hot Cocoa because drinking Hot Cocoa while running causes all sorts of other complications. It's not good people.
Here is a recipe I tweaked that I absolutely love. It's easy, it's cheap and it's versitile.
Enjoy it!
(just not while you're running.)





Hazelnut Hot Cocoa
Adapted from Alton Brown
Makes 5 1/2 c. Mix

2 Cups powdered sugar
2  cups powdered milk
1/2 cup hazelnut powdered coffee creamer
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 cup cocoa (dutch process preferred)
1 teaspoon salt
1 pinch cayenne pepper, or more to taste (optional)

Some notes: I don't use the Cayenne. If you like that spicy/sweet thing give it a whirl. 
I added Mallow Bits to mine because I have them and it makes me think of Swiss Miss packets of Hot Cocoa. 
If you don't like Hazelnut you could skip the creamer and do all powdered milk or sub some other flavor of coffee creamer. I don't have very much experience with coffee creamers so I'll have to do some research and let you know what other flavors are out there. 

Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and incorporate evenly. Store in airtight container.
To make: fill mug 1/3 full with Hot Cocoa Mix and pour in hot water or just do a few tablespoons like I do. Stir well and add marshmallows!

2 comments:

The Yoder Family said...

I DO NOT get the whole running thing. I don't get how people can LOVE running. David didn't believe that I couldn't run a mile without stopping so he took me one morning and I almost passed out. I was walking (fast) 3 miles everyday with my neighbor at this point. I like to walk with running sprints in between. So - good luck - but I say walk.

The Yoder's Five said...

Yes! I can't run either!!! Walking is the way to go! It looks so miserable when I see people running.

Anyway....that hot cocoa recipe looks delish. We go through a ton around here. Definitely want to try it!